Saturday 9 May 2009

ROCKINGHAM TESTING

Rockingham test session

Even though the Rockingham track I tested on was a different layout to the one I will be racing on for the 3rd and 4th round of the Texaco Havoline Ginetta G20 Championship on the 30th-31st May, it was a great day for testing with the sun shining and the circuit bone dry.

Rockingham race circuit is very different to most tracks in the UK because the perimeter of the circuit is a big oval with an infield section inside the oval.

The circuit is also anti-clockwise whereas most of the circuits in this country are all clockwise.

I tested on a track using half of the oval, then part of the infield section. It was a completely different type and layout of circuit I had ever drove on before, but I was excited to see what it was like to drive on an oval.

I went out onto track early morning to firstly check the car was all good from the first race weekend of the season at Oulton Park and secondly to learn and get to grips with the track.

Later on in the day once I had learnt the track I started to push hard to find the level of grip the car had around the track, I was getting quicker and quicker throughout the whole day.

Driving on the oval was an experience because there is a wall literally next to you and as you enter the oval you can feel the wind moving the car around pushing it closer to the wall then pulling it away again. Even thought it was scary in parts when there was a big gust of wind, it was good fun to get to have the experience.

I'm now really looking forward to another test session and then the two races on the 30th and 31st May.

No comments:

Post a Comment